When used correctly, prescription medications can save lives. Unfortunately, these same medications can be harmful if not used as directed. In addition, medications may be harmful if used by someone other than who it was prescribed for or if mixed with other medications. Below are some tips for safe medication use:
- Follow directions on the label when taking or giving medicines.
- Read all warning labels. Some medicines cannot be taken safely while taking other medicines or drinking alcohol.
- Keep medications in their original bottles or containers.
- Never share or sell prescription drugs.
- Keep medications for pain, sleep and ADHD in a safe place away from those who should not have access to it.
- Properly dispose of all unused medications.
If you have questions about how to take your medications, possible drug interactions, potential abuse or how to dispose of unused medications, remember help is just a phone call away. 1-800-222-1222