New Jersey is home to many wild berries, some of these berries may even look like those found in the grocery store or local farmers market.  Although some berries found growing in the wild may be edible, many can be toxic or poisonous to people and pets.  It is important to remember that any berry found growing in the wild should be identified by an expert before touching or tasting.

The best way to prevent an accidental poisoning from wild berries is to be aware of what types of berries grow in your area, and to regularly check common outdoor recreation spots or play areas for fallen seeds, branches, or berries.

If you think someone has touched or tasted a berry that is potentially poisonous or unrecognizable call the medical experts at the New Jersey Poison Center ASAP.

Poison Berries Growing in New Jersey