Pesticides/Rodenticides

Pesticides are chemicals used to control, prevent, or destroy pests such as insects (ants, bedbugs, bees, ticks, spiders, etc) and rodents (mice, rats, etc). Although commonly used in and around the home, it is important to remember that they can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Pesticides can harm anyone including pets. Care should be taken when handling, using and storing pesticides.

Pesticides may only be used indoors if they are specifically marked “for indoor use.” Carefully read and follow the instructions on the label when using such products. Always keep chemicals in their original containers.

Each year NJ Poison Control Center specialists receive calls regarding persons who have mistakenly ingested a pesticide transferred from its original container to an empty drink bottle (soda, juice, water, etc). Do not store unused/leftover pesticides in unlabeled containers or containers with drink labels on them.

If you have questions about the proper use of pesticides or rodenticides, remember help is just a phone call away.  800-222-1222.